HorseSpirit Arts Gallery Gives Back
HorseSpirit Arts Gallery strongly believes in the importance of giving back to the community. Since its inception, HorseSpirit has supported:
- PFLAG Howard County (2019-present), committed to promoting the health and well-being of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, their families, and friends.
- LeCheval Stables, 2016-2018, whose mission is to provide counseling and equine-facilitated support services in an inclusive setting.
- Maryland Therapeutic Riding, 2013-2015, dedicated to helping individuals find overall wellness and mental wellbeing in their lives through the therapeutic power of horseback riding.
- The House of Ruth, 2009-2012, one of the nation’s leading intimate partner violence centers
Covington Emerging Artist Award
HorseSpirit Arts Gallery sponsors the Covington Emerging Artist Award, given annually by HorseSpirit Arts Gallery and presented at the “Howard County Open” Art Show. It is also sponsored by the Howard County Arts Council.
The Covington Emerging Artist Award is given in honor of Ms. Mable Covington Holliday, a hardworking, multi-faceted woman, whose talents included creating and teaching art. In the late 1950’s, Ms. Covington built an art studio outside her home in rural eastern North Carolina. She welcomed, encouraged, and taught women in her community how to express their creativity through ceramics, quilting, oil painting, clothing design and fabrication, and other art forms. She ran her studio for over 20 years. Along the way, she lovingly taught her granddaughter Robin Holliday (Owner / Curator of HorseSpirit Arts Gallery) to create and appreciate art.
Ms. Covington was also a determined, strong woman who persevered through the Great Depression, World War II and the Korean War, losing husbands to the impacts of war. Through adversity, she kept creating art, welcoming people into her studio, extending kindness, and showing generosity. Above all, she held on to her belief in the goodness of humanity.
- Artist Eligibility: Artists are eligible who have been exhibiting and/or selling their art for three years or less.
- Art Media: Artists working in any art media will be considered for this award.
- Selection Criteria: The Covington Emerging Artist Award recognizes the artist whose work demonstrates not only technical excellence, but also most clearly echoes Mable Covington Holliday’s belief in the power of the creative spirit.
- Award Amount: $500 for 1st place
- Selection Committee: Robin Holliday and Deborah Maklowski, an accomplished Artist, President of the Colored Pencil Society of America, and one of the Artists at HorseSpirit Arts Gallery.
- Previous Covington Emerging Artists 1st place winners:
2022, Rebecca A. Favata, Chalk Pastel Painting, “Sir Buffington”
2021, Bill McCauley, Pastel Painting, “La Petite Grocery, New Orleans”
2020, Paul Gangemi, Oil Painting, “Plane Flowers”
2019, Jonathan Bush, Mixed Media (graphite, charcoal, pastel, watercolor), “Workboats Waiting”
2018, Howard Garrett, Oil Painting, “Along the Seine”